List of current and past events for ReSDA and related organizations.
- May 27-June 2, 2017. Congress 2017 The Next 150. This is an initiative of the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences and is being hosted this year by Ryerson University, Toronto, ON. More details at http://congress2017.ca/
- June 8-12, 2017. International Congress of Arctic Social Sciences (ICASS) IX will be held in Umeå, Sweden. For details visit: http://iassa.org/icass-ix
- February 15-18, 2017. Labrador Research Forum. This conference aims to bring the diverse research community of Labrador together in dialogue, knowledge sharing and ideas generating. Abstracts are due by January 17, 2017. For more information visit http://www.mun.ca/labradorinstitute/events/lrf
- Friday November 25, 2016: The Aurora Research Institute hosted a Brown Bag Lunch Session featuring a presentation on the ReSDA research network. This was held in Yellowknife at Aurora College. You can view the powerpoint presentation here.
- September 12-16, 2016. UArctic Congress 2016. St. Petersburg, Russia. http://www.uarctic.org/congress2016
- September 9-12, 2016 NSF Arctic FROST Annual Network Meeting and Early Career Scholars Workshop. “Arctic Sustainability in the Global Context: What can we learn from or teach the rest of the world?” Vienna, Austria More details here.
- August 30th, 2016 – ReSDA Research Presentation
“Behind the Scenes in Mayo and Mining”
Yukon Research Centre North Boardroom
12:00 PM (noon)Susanna Gartler will presenting research results for the Labour Mobility and community participation in extractive industries (LACE) project that is being done in the Yukon. The researchers have recently completed two summary reports for this work and will share highlights of these results. This event is being held at the Yukon Research Centre in the North Boardroom.
- August 10-14, 2016. XIV World Congress of Rural Sociology 2016. Sustainable and Just Rural Transitions: Connections and Complexities. Ryerson University, Toronto, ON. http://www.ryerson.ca/arts/irsacongress2016/ There will be a ReSDA session on Friday August 12 at 4:00 PM in TRS1075 with discussions on extractive industries and rural communities. ReSDA researchers, Brenda Parlee, Ron Harpelle, Andrew Hodgkins and Chris Southcott will be presenting. Session details.
- June 27-30, 2016 Docs North | Docs Nord 4 | June 27-30 2016 Flash Frame Film and Video Network’s Docs North Docs Nord 4, is an excellent opportunity for emerging and independent digital media producers, researchers and artists to learn more about multi-media arts practice and knowledge mobilization. The workshop sessions are taking place in the Resources and Sustainable Development in the Arctic (ReSDA) lab at Lakehead University (PACI Campus). More details at https://docsnorth.wordpress.com/2016/05/17/docs-north-docs-nord-4/
- May 31, 2016, from 1:30 to 3:30. Special ReSDA Panel presentation at the 2016 Congress for the Humanities and Social Sciences. Resource Development and Northern Communities: New Relationships and New Possibilities. in Science Theatre 148, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta.
- Wed. May 11, 2016 @ 4:00 PM. Presentation by Chris Southcott at the Western Arctic Research Centre, Inuvik, NT. Resource development and sustainable communities in the Western Canadian Arctic: Research Results of the ReSDA Project. More details
- April 20, 2016. “Can we avoid the trap without being cursed? Resource development in Canada’s North”. Arctic Speaker Series 2015-16. Arctic Institute of North America, University of Calgary, Calgary Alberta.
- November 2015-January 2016. Film Screening “Guardians of Eternity” This is a film about Giant Mine from the point of view of the Yellowknives Dene First Nation and emphasizing the need for communications with future generations. Click here to view the trailer or read the synopsis. https://gaurdiansofeternity.wordpress.com/ Screening dates and locations were at the Northern United Place, Yellowknife NT November 7, 2015; University of Ottawa Thursday November 19, 2015, Montpetit Hall, Room 201, (MNT201) 7:30 pm; Memorial University of Newfoundland Thursday November 26, 2015, Science Building 2109 (SN 2109) 7:00 pm; Finnish Labour Temple, Thunder Bay, Ontario Thursday Dec. 10, 2015, 7:00 pm;Aurora Research Institute, Inuvik NT Tuesday January 26, 2016.
- August 2015. Graduate Student Employment Opportunity
ReSDA is looking to hire 5 graduate students to work on a part time basis from September to December, 2015. This research involves analytical surveys to provide core data and information for the ReSDA Atlas project. This work would be done from September to December and the results uploaded onto the web Atlas as it is collected. It would be ideal to have a student who could focus on data collection for Nunavut, the Northwest Territories and the Yukon. Position description (pdf)
More details available at http://yukoncollege.yk.ca/about/info/hr_15.99
- December 10, 2015. Yukon College Brown Bag Lunch Presentation by Chris Southcott. Where do funds from resource development projects end up? Tracking social and financial benefits to communities. Presentation starts at 12:00 PM PT at Yukon College Room A2206 or join the talk from the comfort of your own computer or mobile device. If you missed the presentation you can view at https://www.fuzemeeting.com/replay_meeting/b7298d81/7756310
- November 5-8, 2015. Association of Canadian Universities for Northern Studies (ACUNS) Student Conference. DUE NORTH: Next Generation Arctic Research & Leadership http://acuns.ca/en/conferences/
- September 24, 2015. Yukon College Brown Bag Lunch Presentation by Brenda Parlee. Avoiding the “Resource Curse”: Coping with the slippery slopes of a mining boom. Presentation starts at 12:15 PM PT at Yukon College Room A2206 or join the talk from the comfort of your own computer or mobile device. Email email@example.com to request a weblink to the live presentation. Details of the presentation www.resda.ca/sustainable-environments
- September 7-11, 2015. 11th CONFERENCE ON HUNTING AND GATHERING SOCIETIES (CHAGS 11) Vienna. More details at https://chags.univie.ac.at/
- August 15-17, 2015. NSF Arctic-FROST Annual Network Meeting and Early Career Scholar St. Petersburg, Russia, http://uni.edu/arctic/frost/arctic-frost-annual-meeting-information/
- May 30 to June 5, 2015 Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences 2015, in Ottawa. http://congress2015.ca/
- May 25-29, 2015 The Commons Amidst Complexity and Change International Association for the Study of the Commons When: Where: Edmonton, Alberta, at the University of Alberta The call for participation and abstracts is open. Please see www.iasc2015.org for more information.
- April 23-30, 2015 Arctic Science Summit Week 2015 and the Third International Conference on Arctic Research Planning (ICARP III) and the Fourth International Symposium on the Arctic Research (ISAR-4), was held in Toyama, Japan. http://www.assw2015.org/